Teachers recommend best holiday gifts for everyone in your life

Danika Kusumoto, Staff Writer

It’s that time of year again! The holidays are approaching fast, and the season of gift-giving is almost upon us. For those of you last-minute shoppers, finding the perfect present to give your family and friends is the ultimate challenge. Lucky for you, we have a solution. We asked our campus experts about the best gifts for students to buy this holiday season.

For the Reader… 

If you’re looking for a specific title, English teacher Kathryn Wheeler has a recommendation for you. “One book I often give out is The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon, and it’s not a flawless book … but it’s just a beautiful book,” said Wheeler. This dark and thrilling novel set in the Gothic heart of Barcelona, Spain, keeps the reader on the edge of their seats.

You can find a paperback copy of this product on Amazon.com for $11.55.

For the Scientist… 

Science teacher Charles Wade has some advice for those of you who are struggling to find the right gift. “Scientists love coffee, so that’s probably the number one gift you could possibly give to a scientist,” said Wade. It can be a challenge staying awake late into the night conducting experiments, and they could use

the caffeine running through their system.

You can find a McCafe premium medium roast 24 ounce tin of ground coffee on Amazon.com for only $7.15.

For the Mom… 

Stephanie Render, history teacher and super mom, has some ideas of what your mom would love for the holidays. “Something that shows that you appreciate what your mom does … like that coupon book of ‘I’ll help out around the house,’” said Render. This present only costs a little time out of your day dedicated towards making your mom smile.

You can create a coupon book filled with different favors for free.

For the Dad… 

Science teacher Michael Valentine walks his daughter to preschool every day before school, holding her hand as she walks on the cement benches. He suggests purchasing the versatile Echo Show for your dad this holiday season. “Your dad can turn off and on his own bedroom lights without ever getting out of bed again,” Valentine said.

You can find an Echo Show 5 – compact smart display with Alexa – on Amazon.com for $79.99.

For the Traveler… 

Japanese teacher Jodie Sakaguchi has been on more than a few flights, and knows exactly what a fellow traveler would appreciate. “A really good-quality neck pillow, or some noise-cancelling headphones,” said Sakaguchi. Both items would provide comfort throughout the flight, allowing the wearer to relax and sneak in a couple hours of sleep.

You can find a ZAMAT memory foam travel pillow with adjustable compact comfort, breathable and machine washable case, 3D eye masks, and ear plugs all on Amazon.com for the low price of $14.99.

For the Athlete… 

Daniel Wagner, a physical therapist and MPI graduate class of ‘11, has a few thoughts on what athletes might appreciate this holiday season. “The Hypervolt massage gun … that’s, like, for everyone,” said Wagner. This percussion massage device helps relax sore and stiff muscles to improve mobility, allowing up to three hours of use per charge.

You can find the Hypervolt handheld massage device on Amazon.com for $349.00. You can find a cheaper Cryotex massage gun on Amazon.com for $134.50.

https://hyperice.com/hyperice-holiday

For the Tech Lover… 

MPX teacher Robert McIntosh has a few suggestions for someone who adores the world of technology. He explained why a little robot named Cozmo has caught his eye, describing the different functions of this fun and educational toy. “He is a wonderful tool that teaches all different types of technologies,” McIntosh said.

You can purchase Cozmo on Amazon.com for $127.90.

https://anki.com/en-us/cozmo.html

For the Musician… 

Music teacher Jeremy Lawi has a couple ideas of what to purchase a budding musician this upcoming holiday season. “A tuner or a metronome, it’s good not to always rely on apps,” said Lawi. He also suggested getting a tuning fork if you happen to be a percussionist. These musician’s tools will help you improve your skills and practice more efficiently.

You can find a Korg tuner and metronome supporting a broad range of instruments on Amazon.com for $22.99.

For the Gamer… 

For those of you who need a little advice on what to buy the gamer, technology specialist Tony Johansen recommends purchasing the Nintendo Switch. “I personally love my Nintendo Switch,” Johansen said. However, if you’re looking for something a little more affordable, he said socks with video game characters on them never fails to impress.

You can find a Nintendo Switch on Amazon.com for $289.95. You can find novelty gamer socks on Amazon.com for $6.99