VINTAGE: Styles from the past are making a comeback this year

Rell Uehara

Fassion trends

Kenna Kaneshiro, Staff Writer

Inside Atherton on a recent morning, the halls filled with students as doors began to open, and in the crowd there are scattered sights of students adjusting their high-waisted jeans and a pair of Vans shoes being retied.

Lately, Mid-Pacific students have been following fashion styles that relate to the 1980s, 60s, and 50s. A pair of high waisted jeans and skirts as well as a floral printed wrap dress is common to find in class.

“I think that these fashion trends are coming back because the vintage style is very in right now, and I think it is mainly due to the popular store Brandy Melville,” said freshman Kalena O’Connell, who was wearing a floral wrap dress and a pair of vans.

Brandy Melville sells clothing such as high waisted denim skirts, t-shirts with vintage designs, sweatshirts with 1990s designs, and loose fitting jeans.

Something that was worn ages or decades ago doesn’t mean it that it shouldn’t be tried or worn again, said school librarian Nicole Goff who said she wore styles in the 90s such as Doc Martins boots and oversized flannel shirts.

This fall, barrettes, scrunchies, loose fitting jeans, and high waisted skirts are starting to rise in popularity, and an “old” type of look is the modern way to dress.

According to a recent article from Insider, loose fitting jeans also called “mom jeans” originated from a Saturday Night Live sketch in the early 2000s about a fictional brand of denim made for mothers. This piece of clothing eventually evolved into a fashion choice.

People also are using scrunchies, a type of hair tie that was popular in the 1980s. It originated from a brand called Scünci in 1963 founded by Phillips E. Meyers. It became a well known accessory in 1987 when a woman named Romy Reverson began to use it for her singing and dancing performances.

“I think the reason why high school girls like these types of trends is because we see it a lot on social media with our favorite influencers or popular people who we admire their style. Therefore, we want to dress like them,” said O’Connell. 

Some influencers include Jaci Marie Smith who wears “mom jeans” and boldly colored striped sweaters. As well as Emma Chamberlain, an American youtuber who also wears mom jeans and scrunchies.

On social media, there are advertisements from stores that sell vintage clothing and attracts students and exposes them to a new style, said senior Ashley Uyematsu. 

“I feel like it [vintage styles] will be occurring in every single generation,” said Uyematsu. “It will be like this cycle,” she said.

IB physics and forensics teacher Kymbal Roley said she used to wear 80s fashion styles such as midriff tops and polka dots.

“Styles from the past, when they bring them back I think they bring back what’s good about the style but they put a new twist on it,” she said. 

Boots or Uggs resemble a variation of leg warmers and high waisted pants and tops are designed to be worn higher rather than the 1980s low slung clothing.

It is fun to see people in the fashion industry who are taking old ideas, but also making them new and different, Goff said.

“You don’t want to bring something back exactly the way it was, so there are always going to be bits and pieces of a shirt, a pair of shorts, shoes that change,” said Goff.