WHODUNNIT? Na Pueo staffers attempt to solve the mystery of the campus owls

Images collected from Mid-Pacific Social Media

Some of the campus owls on the Mid-Pacific campus. Someone places the owls throughout the school year.

Kenna Kaneshiro, Staff Writer

On a recent day in Weinberg, students pass through the glass doors as a lively painted pueo watches stealthily above from a trophy case. It perches amongst everyone with its silver rimmed eyes and colorful feathers.

Scattered across campus, there are owl statues constructed of plastic, a metal spring neck covered by an owl head with large eyes, and a body coated with dynamic colors. Placed above the heads of students, they stand over a small base filled with sand attached to its feet. 

The artist behind the project has remained a mystery for two years, which is when they first appeared. 

Mid-Pacific’s social media displays images of the owls appearing as early as October 2018, with an orange and black owl for Halloween.

Since then, more statues have appeared dressed in caps and leis for graduation, masks and green claws for Halloween, and a dark green body with tiny bells for Christmas.

Several faculty members stated they have never figured out the artist behind the project.

“It’s a big mystery. We’ve asked the people in advancement and special occasions,” said Yearbook and Tech Explorations teacher Lori Nishiguchi.

The owl statues move around campus every so often, changing their positions throughout the year. Currently, the only owl a Na Pueo reporter could find perches inside Weinberg Technology Plaza.

“It just suddenly appears. There are other people who are trying to figure out where it came from, but we have no idea,” said Nishiguchi.

However, these owls can be purchased at Home Depot and are not handmade.

“It looks like they bought the same type that we bought, which comes from Home Depot,” said Engineering and Academic Technology teacher, Weyland Bailey.

Bailey created an owl statue of his own covered in green and is displayed in Weinberg Technology Plaza. Its structure is similar to the original statues.

“I think it’s pretty cool, since it promotes school spirit,” said 12th grade dean Myron Seu. 

Usually, the owls are by or in Weinberg Technology Plaza and positioned near the Bakken area.

“We’ve been asking around, and it appears the mystery owl artist would like to remain anonymous,” said Julie Yuen, Communications and Community Outreach Director.

Yuen said she does not personally know the artist, and the person who she spoke to does know the identity, but has been sworn to secrecy.

An anonymous interview was unable to be secured.

“They’re good, creative, and eye catching, and I assume they were painted by students,” said the elementary school administrative assistant Diane Kamioka.

Many officials on campus say they don’t know the identity of the owl artist. School employees in Avancement, Art, and Damon Hall said they have no knowledge on the origin of the statues or where they came from. 

The identity of the artist remains anonymous, but hopefully the

creator of these owls will continue to make this piece of art admired by the Mid-Pacific crowd.

“It’s interesting. I wish it would be out more around campus, and I think it makes whatever season it is fun,” said Bailey.

Do you know who made the campus owls? Tell us here!