If you’re in a relationship, communication, honesty are key

Siena Usui, Staff Writer

Siena Usui: Student Survival Guide

Q: As a senior who has never attended a school dance/prom, is attending prom in my final year worth it? 

A: I haven’t gone to prom, but I definitely think that attending prom at least once is totally worth it. Since you’re a senior, it’ll probably become one of the last times that you’ll be together with the rest of your grade level. It can be a great time to talk to people you haven’t really gotten the chance to know, and you can bond with your friends. And, even if you dislike the thought of going to a large and crowded event, who knows? You might have fun. 

To fully answer this question, I got my own advice from our former columnist, Abigail Yagi. 

“High school is what you make of it, just like everything else in life,” she said. “Prom is just one of the many things that can make high school unique and memorable. The “high school experience” is different for everyone and it doesn’t have to be a part of yours if you don’t want it to be,” said Yagi. 

Also, it’s okay if you’re single at prom. You don’t need a date to have a good time with your friends, and you won’t have to worry about coordinating outfits, taking couple photos, or always feeling like you need to socialize with your date the entire night, said Yagi. Going or not going to prom is your decision, and the most important thing is that you’re happy with the choice you made.

Q: How do I ask somebody to prom?

A: Hmm…that’s a tough question. Depending on the person, they might like something big and all out (think balloons and posters), while others would prefer something more down to earth and small (think flowers and a card). If you definitely know that they will say yes, you could do one of those public promposals. And even if you’re unsure of their answer, there’s no problem with just going for it. Asking someone to prom can be daunting and a little bit scary, but just remember that it’s okay to take a leap of faith sometimes. In the end, the way you ask somebody to prom is your choice, and do what’s comfortable for you.

Q: How do you maintain a healthy relationship?

A: Keeping a healthy relationship can be difficult, but as long as you and the other person both put work into it, your relationship can flourish. 

I talked to one of Mid-Pacific’s staff, Amber Alderson, a master’s level clinician under supervision, about this topic and what it takes to make a relationship work. 

“Communication within any type of relationship is key. You have to communicate your thoughts or insecurities, you should be able to talk to that person and they should be able to reciprocate that,” said Alderson. 

Whether it’s a friendship or partner, different types of relationships need certain things. 

“It’s important to be honest. If you’re trying to set boundaries or if you’re trying to allow that person to understand you, at best it’s good to be honest and state expectations,” said Alderson. 

Maintaining a healthy relationship can put your emotions to the test, so remember to give yourself some self love because you deserve it, and to take a break when you need it.