Boys water polo wins $2,000 in MClub workout competition

Mid-Pacific students post their workouts on the daily Padlet to take part in the M Club workout competition. Boys Water Polo won a $2,000 prize for posting the most workouts.

Tia Shimabukuro, Staff Writer

As the MClub quarantine competition came to an end, boys water polo swam to 1st place while girls basketball bounced closely behind, winning 2nd place. 

The MClub is a group of Mid-Pacific alumni, parents, and students, who support and help bring success to the athletic program. When quarantine started, the MClub proposed an idea of hosting a workout competition. Whichever sports team at Mid-Pacific posted the most pictures of themselves exercising recorded on the Padlet would win a prize of $2,000 (1st place) and $1,000 (2nd place). 

“Anything I or the club can do to motivate individuals to maintain their optimum level of performance is a plus,” said MClub president Missy Lange.

The mission of the MClub is to encourage pride in athletics through its service to Mid-Pacific and its club activities. 

Girls Varsity basketball player Amara Ueligitone said she felt honored to help her team win the prize.

“I’m so proud of everyone who participated in the challenge,” said Ueligitone. 

Within 40 days of the challenge, there were many students posting to the padlet daily. 

“I am very proud that almost 80 athletes were determined to exercise and stay healthy,” said Athletic Director Scott Wagner. 

The two winning teams used their teammates as motivation to keep up with updating their activity status.

Varsity boys water polo player Brett Tom said not only was the money a huge motivation to keep working out, but seeing teammates uploading inspired him to do the same. 

“I felt that it would be a disservice to the team if I didn’t upload to the padlet,” said Tom. 

Girls basketball plans to use their prize on new gear.

“Everyone contributed throughout the contest, and we were well represented from grades 7-12,” said Girls Basketball coach Reid Sagawa.