How important is it to make your bed in the morning?

Erin Goya, Staff Writer

Erin Goya
Opinion

How many people actually take the time to make their bed in the morning? Not me. I thought it was such a waste of my time. After getting up in the morning, already in a rush to get to school, why do I need to make my bed just to mess it up again? That is until I realized how much making your bed changes the start of your day. 

In 2014, Admiral William McRavens spoke at the graduation commencement at the University of Texas at Austin. His speech focused on changing the world in many different ways, however, his most impactful part of his speech was when he talked about the importance of making his bed. 

“If you make your bed every morning you will have accomplished the first task of the day. It will give you a small sense of pride and it will encourage you to do another task and another and another. By the end of the day, that one task completed will have turned into many tasks completed. Making your bed will also reinforce the fact that little things in life matter. If you can’t do the little things right, you will never do the big things right.,” said McRavens in his speech. 

It also makes you feel happier! According to the author of “The Happiness Project”, one of the things that leads to a happier lifestyle is making your bed. Even though it is small and insignificant, it is proven that completing a task boosts confidence and satisfaction. 

I began making my bed during the first lockdown because I had extra time in the morning and I never realized how much changed my psychological state until I began on-campus learning. I remember coming home from practice at 11 p.m. totally exhausted from the day and my practice. That day, I took a hard test and had a slow practice and I felt like I didn’t accomplish anything. Then I saw my neatly folded, organized and creased sheets. I almost cried because even though I was exhausted, at least I did one thing right that day. I made my bed. 

If you want to change the world and be happy, make your bed.