Letter from the Editor-in-Chief: Saying goodbye

Erin Goya, Staff Writer

Most goodbyes are anticipated. It’s known from the start that we eventually have to say goodbye and let go of someone or something. But this year, the class of 2021 had no idea that we were going to have to say goodbye, or at least not so soon.

Erin Goya
Opinion

We were forced to let go of everything and anything that we thought was going to be “normal”. The house parties, the stress of finding a prom date, the over-crowded senior nights and so much more. We had to say goodbye to events that were promised from the first day of freshman year. The hardest part of it all was not knowing that we were going to have to just accept letting it go. I know that most of us are more than ready to get going with the newest chapter of our lives, but this year was supposed to be a right of passage to beginning “the best 4 years of our lives”. A lot of us are looking forward to the new friends and adventures that lie ahead, forgetting that we still have a little time left here. But who can blame us? This year was supposed to be everything we ever dreamed of, and right when it was about to begin, it ended.

In the beginning, I was heart-broken and so unmotivated because there was no point anymore. What was there to look forward to? Everything was cancelled. But then I realized that even though there wasn’t a winter ball or a senior luau, there were so many other simple memories that I overlooked over the years. I will never forget the early mornings spent in Mr. Chance’s old classroom trying to decipher the Odyssey, or the cute cafeteria socials when we were too afraid to say hi to the boy/girl that we liked. The field day tug-of-war and Sophomore Banquet under the stars, along with the big cookies at the snack bar;. I realized that in-between all these years, there were so many things that I will cherish forever.

The class of 2021 will forever be known as the class that was able to endure, persevere and continue to keep moving forward despite the adversity. No matter where we go in life next, we will always be able to adapt and continue to thrive in the ever-changing environment.

A special thank you to the administration, teachers and parents for your continuous support through this unprecedented time. We truly appreciate all the effort everyone has put in to make this year memorable.

To the journalism staff, thank you so much for being the most fun and enthusiastic group of kids and I am so excited to see what the future holds for you all. Sadly, Mrs. Hanthorn and I will not be returning next year, but I hope you continue to write with passion and integrity.

Mrs. Hanthorn, thank you for giving me the opportunity and support to lead such an amazing team and for inspiring me to chase after the things that I am passionate about. You have not only changed me as a journalist, but as a person too. Thank you for everything.

To the seniors, we did it guys. Even when the whole entire world decided to throw obstacles at us, we came back stronger. Most of all, we leaned on each other for support and motivation. Thank you for continuing to be positive even though I know that this year was so challenging for each and every one of you. I hope that wherever you go and whatever you do, you do it with the biggest smile and create so many lasting memories. If we learned anything from this year, it’s that time is limited. Even though we didn’t have the opportunities to bond with each other this year, I know that over the years we have made bonds that will last a lifetime.

And to the rest of the NaPueo audience, please continue to be happy, healthy and have an amazing summer! Thank you for everything.

Sincerely,
Your Editor-in-Chief, Erin Goya.