Categories:

Destiny Look, All-American Athlete

Sophomore, Destiny Look is named USATF Junior Olympic All-American
Michelle Look

With the athletic season at Mid-Pacific starting to kick off, it’s time to take a look into one of Mid-Pacific top athletes as of right now- Destiny Look.

Every athlete fantasizes about being the best, but few actually put in the time and work to make those dreams come true. However, Look is an example of what can happen when an athlete works hard and pushes herself to her fullest potential.

Look, a sophomore at Mid-Pacific, is taking over the track and field world with a passion and fire to keep pushing herself and be the best.

Look started running when she was six years old. In middle school, she joined track for fun, but soon found that she was still really good and eventually “fell in love with high jump and hurdles.”

This year she said that she plans on participating in volleyball, cross country, track and possibly basketball.

After the athletic season was over last year, Look was given not just one, but three separate athletic awards. One was for Most Valuable Player for track and field, The Green and White award, which is given to self-motivated and hardworking athletes. This was followed by the Mid-Pacific Tri-athlete award for cross country, soccer and track and field.

“I actually had no clue I was going to get any [awards], but I was thrilled to be presented with such honorable awards. To be able to receive awards like these was something that pushed me even more to be better so that I’m able to keep making myself, Hawaii, and my school proud,” Look said.

On top of everything she has accomplished at Mid-Pacific, she also competed for the title of All-American Athlete against more than 90 athletes on the mainland. She said that it was something she never thought she would do but went in with an open mind.

“I wasn’t really nervous. I was just thinking about how I needed to do my best and put up the best time and personal records,” Look said.

Recently, Look placed fourth in All-American, landing herself recognition on Entertainment and Sports Programming Network (ESPN) Honolulu, representing Hawaii and making herself, her family and her home proud.

She said that her drive to continue her track career is to compete at Oregon University. She also strives to one day make it to the Olympics, Track and Field World Championships, and the Diamond League– a series of elite track and field athletic competitions.

Being an athlete is one thing, but being a student athlete is another. Look works to find that balance between her academic and athletic life.

“It’s sometimes challenging to keep up with school work after coming home from a hard practice or hard game, and I tend to put athletics in front of being a student sometimes. I did figure out how to balance it out and just make time to do little bits at a time, and it’s been working so far,” Look said.

Look’s advice to other student-athletes is to take the time to really put in the work and finish homework when given the time. Always do off season training to stay in shape in order to be ready when sports do start up again.

When it comes to her future, in five years Look sees herself running on a Division One (D1) track in the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) championship, and going off to run in the professional world. She’s already begun looking at schools to further her athletic career.

“I’ve been looking and reaching out to schools since freshman year, so they can come and watch and scout. When I’m a junior, they’ll already know who I am and want to reach out to me. I do have a list of top 5 colleges I hope to go to,” Look said.

View Story Comments
Print this Story