The bike rack at the security guard shack before school gets out.
Lisa Schroeder
Categories:

A risk for student safety? How electric bikes and scooters impact the Mid-Pacific campus

With the rise of electric transport, many students have been gravitating towards electric bikes and scooters to get to school. However, does this mean that student safety is more at risk?

There are many viewpoints when it comes to electric bikes and scooters. Some students feel that conveniency is a big advantage when choosing electric.

“This mode of transportation is more helpful, because you’re not in the struggle of getting onto the bus because that has a set time, and sometimes your parents can’t get you,” sophomore Toshiro Kamra said .

Traffic is another avoidable issue with the use of an electric scooter or bike, as people can get to places they need to be faster without the use of a car.

“It is convenient because I’m not old enough to drive or own a moped yet,” sophomore Tyler Lo said.

While electric transport has many benefits, there are risks regarding safety.

Sixth-grade Dean Lisa Mah talked about student safety regarding electric scooters and bikes.

“I look at it as human and helmet versus bus. Human and helmet versus car,” Mah said.

Mah expresses concern over bicyclists and accidents, discussing concern for the collisions that may occur with other, stronger vehicles.

“When you are in an accident, and you have a human body versus a ton of metal, that’s what worries me. The bicyclist is not going to win against a vehicle,” Mah said.

Another major issue with riding an electric scooter or bike is encountering reckless drivers. There have been many incidents recently where cyclists have gotten into fatal accidents with cars because the driver doesn’t see the cyclist. Mah says with the number of oblivious and naive drivers, there are many close call accidents.

“I’ve observed it behind a car, we’re at a traffic light. On my left side, there is a bicycle lane and the car in front of me is wanting to take a left turn, but not seeing that there is a bicycle lane and there is a bicyclist coming across and then there is a near accident,” Mah says.

Although cyclist safety is an issue to keep in mind, many places on Oahu have implemented more bike lanes and bike traffic lights, which have been making the islands safer for bicyclists.

Despite concerns, it is an undebatable bonus that electric bikes/scooters  reduce traffic flow into Mid-Pacific.

“All you people who are using the bike racks up there, those are less cars coming onto Mid-Pacific campus because you’re not getting dropped off by a vehicle, so that’s a huge plus,” Mah said.

As climate change becomes a more prevalent and discussed matter, electric transportation will become a more familiar part of our future.

“I do believe that electric bikes are way cleaner for the environment than cars,” Mah said.