The small piece of technology making a big statement on the Mid-Pacific campus

Kayla Marutani

Seita Katayama listening to music on AirPods.

Kayla Marutani, Staff Writer

Minutes after school finishes, AirPods enter the ears of Mid-Pacific’s high school students.

From students wearing AirPods in class, to wearing them around campus, the increasing numbers of student AirPod use is evident on the Mid-Pacific campus.

It was expected that AirPod shipments would approach 30 million units in 2018. Apple can barely keep up with the increasing demand of this product, according to the website, macrumors.com.

“I noticed that more and more people have AirPods [now],” said junior Gaia Hittle.

The national airpod trend is also present on the Mid-Pacific campus: students are seen wearing them left and right. The amount of AirPod users is noticeably increasing on campus, said students.  

“AirPods are definitely more practical than using earphones with wires,” said junior Annika Alcon.

The practicability of this small piece of technology is the reasoning behind the popularity of this Apple product, said students.

Freshman dean Kelli fitter said student should be respectful of the space they’re in when they consider whether to use AirPods.  

“that’s important during chapel or during a socratic seminar or students giving presentations. It’s really important to show respect to the speaker.”

Many students argue that AirPods don’t pose any more of a problem than normal earphones do.

Others, like Gracie, say that normal earphones, that require wires, are just as easy to hide as Airpods. Therefore, AirPods don’t affect the problem of students listening to music when they are not supposed to.

“I see girls with their hair down covering their AirPods, but you can do that with your regular earphones, too,” said junior Esther Gracie.