Little league champion returns to Mid-Pacific

Scot Allen, Mid-Pacific Photographer

Mid-Pacific seventh-grader Chandler Murray played on the winning little league team.

Maia D'Amato, Staff Writer

In a 3-0 shutout, the Honolulu Little League won the little league world series over South Korea on Aug. 26. One Mid-Pacific student, Chandler Murray, played on the winning team and arrived home to a city that celebrated his success. 

Na Pueo staff interviewed Murray recently about his victory and future plans. 

How did you feel when you won?

I had a lot of excitement because it’s a once in a lifetime thing. 

What was it like to enter the stadium and play knowing that the whole world was watching?

It’s nerve racking and even though you see people watching you, you just have to keep your mind on the game and focus. Just like our coach said, focus on someone else, don’t focus on the crowd and your parents. Just focus on the team.

What were your feelings while playing?

I didn’t feel that nervous as soon as we got on the field because everybody else wasn’t nervous so it kind of calmed me down and you wanted to go out there and do something for the team.

How did you prepare yourself for the game?

We just waited in the barracks and then talked to each other, getting ready for the game listening to music and that helped us release the nervous energy and get ready for the game.

Did you expect there would be so much attention coming back after the game?

No not really, I thought it was just going to be family accomplishment but we realized over time that it’s kind of a whole Hawaii thing that everybody’s happy that we won.

What are your future plans playing the sport?

Hopefully that I can get into intermediate ball in high school and maybe college but not too sure about those. I might want to pursue a different dream.

How has the game changed you?

It’s taught me life lessons like always trust some people but also don’t trust them because maybe they couldn’t be good friends and they won’t help you in hard times.